ILEC Preparation Course
Legal English is significantly different from standard general English as it uses specialised legal English vocabulary and structure.
Our Legal English course uses a modern communicative approach designed to develop the student's ability to understand and express concepts in legal contexts and situations which the student is likely to encounter in their everyday professional life.
Our trainers use a practical and interactive approach - excersises, supervised discussion, role play and presentations to develop the student's ability in the key skills of speaking, listening, reading and writing and to widen their understanding of essential legal English, language structures, vocabulary, common expressions and grammar. Topic areas are all explored in classroom discussion, backed up by homework readings and exercises
Who is this course suitable for:
Legal English Course is suitable for qualified lawyers and any law student who wishes to work in an international commercial environment after graduation.
Our course is valuable also for those working and training in the legal profession, to people working in management, human resources and other fields where a knowledge of legal issues and terms is necessary, and to students who are still following university courses in these subjects.
English for Legal Studies is aimed at law students with a good knowledge of English - at Upper Intermediate level and above.
During the course students will study International Legal English with the opportunity to take the International Legal English Certificate (ILEC).
The purpose of these courses is to improve usage and understanding of the language of Law through English. Through a wide variety of legal and law related texts students will acquire the reading, vocabulary, writing and listening skills necessary to work on legal materials and use them in a wide range of legal contexts.
Legal English course will give you the following skills:
- to use English in practical situations
- to participate in meetings and discussions of a legal nature
- to express opinions clearly
- improve general and social English language skills
- develop specific vocabulary for legal English
- improve your Negotiating skills
- improve your ability to write common legal texts
- improve your legal English reading comprehension skills
- improve your ability to use legal English in a spoken context
- analyse language functions common to legal texts
- expand your knowledge of key legal terms in English.
What to expect from the course
- Practice using English for negotiating, meetings and telephoning
- Give legal presentations in English
- Raise your awareness of intercultural issues
- Analysis of selected legal texts and dialogues
- Specialised vocabulary related to the main areas of law
- Main structures of grammar and syntax
- Written and listening comprehension
- Role plays
- Supervised discussion and debate: expression agreements, disagreement and compromise
- Task based learning exercises
- Commercial legal vocabulary in context
- The terminology of commercial contracts
- Best practice in modern contract drafting
- Accurate modern letter writing skills
Course themes and language focus
- Company Law
- Law of Contracts
- Employment Law
- Property Law
- Intellectual Property
- Competition Law
- Negotiable Instruments
- Secured Transactions
The Legal English course will be run depending on demand.
You can register for ILEC exam at English Academy. Please bring with you your ID card/passport, a proof of a bank transfer, complete and sign an individual entry form. If you are unable to come you can send a person with your notarised written agreement and with a copy of your ID card/passport to register you.